The Conference of World Religions or World Religions Conference is a multi-faith conference typically held annually throughout many countries of the world. The conference was originally envisioned by the Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, the founder of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community in the 1890s. The intention for this conference was to provide a forum for scholars of various faith groups to express the beauties of their respective faiths in a peaceful and friendly atmosphere.
Since the founder’s demise in 1908 Ahmadiyya Muslim Community have been led by a series of Caliphs or spiritual leaders, the present being His Holiness Hadhrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad; this form of global leadership is another distinctive feature of this community. He continues to relay the message of peace to the corners of the earth, a message that has been reflected in action by the community through humanitarian efforts by men, women and the youth of the community.
In Canada, the World Religions Conference has been organized by the Canadian branch of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community with the cooperation of several cities, academic institutions, faith-based associations, student clubs and numerous other organizations for over 3 decades. It has held in various cities and communities throughout Canada. The most significant and largest WRC has been held in Waterloo, Ontario.
In the early part of the 20th century a historic conference of world religions was held in 1924 in London to promote understanding and to underline the importance of religion in the world.
This Year The Conference of World Religions is being held on Tuesday 11th February 2014 Guildhall, London 5.00pm – 9.00pm, Featuring speeches by renowned faith leaders and a keynote address by His Holiness Hazrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad Head of the worldwide Ahmadiyya Muslim Community
Historic conference to be held in London is to call on the world of religion to unite behind their shared goal of social and international peace. International faith leaders, secretaries of state and other key leading figures involved in promoting religious freedom are to speak on the role and relevance of God in modern life.
The conference has an impressive line-up of speakers, including:
- Archbishop Kevin McDonald, Catholic Church
- Rabbi Professor Daniel Sperber, Representing Chief Rabbi of Israel
- Representative of His Holiness The Dalai Lama
- His Eminence Archbishop Nektarios, representing His Beatitude, Patriarch Theophilos III the Patriarch of Jerusalem
- Sheikh Moafaq Tarif, Spiritual Head of The Druze Community in Israel
- Umesh Chander Sharma, Chairman of the Hindu Council UK
- Dr Katrina Lantos Swett, Vice-Chair United States Commission on International Religious Freedom
- HE President John Kufuor, Ghana
- Rt Hon Eric Pickles MP, Secretary of State for Communities
- Baroness Berridge, Chair of the UK All Party Parliamentary Group on International Religious Freedom or Belief
- Rt Hon Dominic Grieve QC MP, The Attorney General
- Rt Hon Baroness Warsi
For the Information Brochure click here